There are bar trivia games…and there are bar trivia games that become forever etched in the minds of those who were there. Most memorable games for us? Nailing the “Alvin and the Chipmunks” final question at a 2013 tournament and coming from behind to win some $. Getting a “this date in history” final question that just happened to be the 18th birthday of one of our players. Being one of two teams advancing to finals after a rough venue tournament game in October. Monday we had another game making this list. Why? Because they asked about our team mascot. Really, We could not contain our excitement. They could probably hear our boisterous laughter two doors down through several walls of heavy brick. Not kidding… It just doesn’t get any more awesome than this! Well, it’s tough to compete with that game where Dave ran around the bar like an idiot after getting a sports final question right all by himself, but what game could compete with that? We walked away with one first place in game one and a near perfect regular round Monday at MAIZ Mexican Cantina for Sporcle Live with Rachel Sue, though we flubbed game two when our “Animaniacs” knowledge failed us for the first time ever… But you’ll read more about that later. Pods in attendance were Heb, Mike, Dave, and Geoff (Brad joined us late in game two). Special shout out to Dave K. for being our MVP of the game (how does he know some of this stuff anyway?)! Onward questions ho!
1. First Names – What is the first name of Dr. Watson in the Sherlock Holmes stories by Arthur Conan Doyle? Mike the bookworm for 10 points.
2. TV Settings – What TV series that debuted in the late ’90s was set in part at Beacon Street Pizza? For nerd bonus, in what Eastern city was the show set? Got both by GUESSING, but for only 2.
3. Film Debuts – What mixed martial artist made her film debut in Expendables 3 as a bouncer named Luna? And Dave showed up just in time to answer this. Awesome…9 points.
4. Mergers – In July, 2015, the FCC approved a merger between Direct TV and what other communications company? Eight points.
5. MLB Stars – Who is the only player for the New York Yankees to have more than 10,000 at-bats for the team? Nice work Dave and Geoff for 7.
6. Measurements – What unit of length used to measure distance outside of the solar system is equivalent to 3.26 light years? Six points.
7. Lead Singers – Since 2007, Philippine singer Arnel Pineda has been the lead singer of what classic rock band? Dave for 5 points.
8. U.S. Geography – What is the name of the highland region found in Missouri and Arkansas? Our team artist was asked to sketch a drawing of a hillbilly old lady smoking a pipe, but he refused…4 points.
9. Movie Bad Guys – In what 2006 movie does Michael Keaton voice the villain Chick Hicks? Dave again for 3 points.
1. News – What online news source founded in 2005 bills itself as “The Internet Newspaper?” And Heb finally answers a question in the game (rah rah). One point.
Mystery: What decade am I?
1. Ayatollah Khomeni becomes supreme leader of Iran.
2. The Tennessee Valley Authority was created.
3. Artificial turf installed in the Houston Astrodome.
4. Zaire re-named the Democratic Republic of Congo.
And #3 was our only miss of the round.
Six teams battled it out. More Beer Less Pants was in second with 63 points, and Miskatonic U. held the top spot with 65 (easily one of our highest scoring games in recent memory, we’ve been in a bit of a slump, so we’ll take it!).
Final category: NBA Awards
Three players born outside of the United States have won the NBA Defensive Player of the Year award. Name two of those three players. We wagered 20 and Dave and Geoff managed to slam-dunk this one (they could name all three). Nice work!
Final standings: More Beer Less Pants, 83, Miskatonic U., 85.
1. Coaches – Name one of the two NFL teams coached by John Bruden from 1998 to 2008. We named both, and we think this was a nerd bonus (?). Ten points.
2. Music Videos – Actors Macauley Culkin and George Wendt appeared in what 1991 video? Dave for 9 points.
3. Potpourri – Where would you find an aglet? On a hat, belt, shoelace or scarf? Thank you Phineas and Ferb.
4. Kids’ TV – steve Burns and Donovan Patton both served as hosts of what long-running TV series? Miss, we put Double Dare, 1 point.
5. Explorers – What Portuguese explorer was the first to reach India by sea? Heb picked the wrong Portuguese explorer and went with the one pictured with this re-cap instead (even though she did think of the right guy’s name, just didn’t make the leap to utter it, d’oh!). Seriously, “Animaniacs” is trivia gold. We binge watched before a tournament once. And it actually helped us get a question right about Magellan before, though not this time 😦 Miss for a whopping 7.
6. Commercials – Audio clip of some commercial, didn’t pay attention, but we got it for 2.
7. Directors – Who directed Dr. Strangelove and Spartacus? Redemption for Heb and her Magellan flub, 6 points.
8, Libraries – Two stone statues in front of the New York Public Library are likenesses of what animal?
9. Animals – From the Greek for “head foot,” what is the name of the class for this animal? Boisterous laughter all around…..! Thank you, Sporcle! You like us,,,you really, really like us ;
10. Musicals – “Love Never Dies” is the sequel to what Andrew Lloyd Webber musical? Starlight Express? Jesus Christ Superstar? No. Evita? No. Sunset Boulevard? No. Cats? No. Yup, we made the right guess!
Mystery: http://www.sporcle.com/blog/visual/16voices/ Got them all (amazing, right?).
Heading into the final: Six teams, didn’t catch all of the scores. We were in fourth with 54 points, Tequila Mockingbird was in second and More Beer Less Pants was in first with 64.
Final category: Museums
Other than its original location in London, name one of the two cities that are home to Madame Tussaud’s wax museums? We missed this one and wagered 11 points. “Strategic” wagering didn’t help this time (hey, sometimes it really does work, and it’s not a sucker’s bet, despite what you may have heard). Top two teams stayed the same (we think, not sure about who took second), but MBLP took first. Fear the Beer! And Go Pods!