A few trivia recaps back, I said, “Are you there trivia Gods? It’s me, Heb. When, oh when will Sporcle Live do an all- Judy Blume trivia theme night?” Well, I know that’s not going to happen! But if it ever does happen, here’s a sampling of questions you might see!
1. Pets- “Dribble” is the name of a pet in “Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing.” What type of pet is Dribble?
2. Religion – Margaret in “Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret” has parents of two different religions. Name one of those religions, name both for an extra “nerd” bonus.
3. Naughty Activities – In what naughty activity does Tony in “Then Again, Maybe I Won’t” engage involving his neighbor, Lisa? Multiple choice – a: sexual intercourse b: making out in a neighbor’s shed c: shoplifting d: watching Lisa undress while viewing through binoculars
4. Occupations – A “flenser” performs what task on a whaling vessel, according to the novel “Blubber?”
5. Real Names – What are the real first and middle names of “Fudge,” in “Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing” and subsequent books?
6. Banned Books – What is the title of the Judy Blume book, published in 1975, which was banned (among other reasons) because of its overtly sexual content?
7. Movie Stars – What movie star, known for her swimming prowess and film roles of the 1940s-1950s, does Sally Freedman admire in “Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself?”
8. Book Characters – Karen Newman is a main character in what 1972 Judy Blume book, which is about divorce?
9. Broadway – In what Rodgers and Hammerstein musical does Davey in “Tiger Eyes” land a major role in a high school production? Hint: It originally premiered on Broadway in 1943.
10. Athletes – Tony in “Then Again, Maybe I Won’t” reads a book called “Wilt the Stilt.” Name at least one NBA team for which this person played.
Mystery – Before and After – (one of the answers in each will be the name of a Judy Blume book)
1. Disgraced cooking show celebrity known for Southern dishes and name of 1973 Blume book about a girl who has scoliosis
2. 1995 film starring Christina Ricci and Rosie O’Donnell and 1971 Judy Blume book set in Rosemont, NY
3. A 1973 film for which Jack Lemmon won best actor and 1981 Blume book about a character whose father is gunned down while working in a convenience store
4. A 1970 Judy Blume book featuring the racial integration of a suburban neighborhood and a 1964 song by The Animals
Final question: Judy Blume books have been banned/challenged for a variety of reasons. What taboo topic is the main reason the book “Deenie” was banned?