It may be the “off season” in Sporcle Live, but we’ve also been playing like it’s the off season in our My Trivia Live games at The Wurst Bar, too! For two consecutive weeks we’ve flubbed the final questions in our regular games, last night doing so after first considering the correct answer – and changing it to the wrong one. The horror! We’re hoping we’ll eventually get our groove back and not have to pay for our well whiskey drinks that are on special during our games. We still remain in first place in the overall standings, but if we keep f—ing things up the way we’ve been doing, we could (gasp) fall to second place! Again, the horror! In the meantime, we’ll shake it off. Maybe next week host Stacy won’t tsk-tsk us for being so stupid! Seriously, she does not do that, but she will let you know how bad of an idea it is to wager all points on a final question you end up missing, Which we’ve done the past two weeks. End whining session, now let’s get to those questions, shall we?
1. Candy – What fruit flavored candy has the slogan “Unexplainably Juicy?” 1
2. Constellations – What constellation means “The Table” in Latin and shares its name with an organization with intelligent people? Intelligent people? What are those? Do they have a counterpart organization for people who blow final questions in all of their trivia games? 🙂 Got this for 5.
3. Animals – There are five classes of vertebrates, including mammals and birds. Name the other three. Brad the zoologist steps in for 3.
1. Elements – What metal is the most electrically conductive? A LOT of discussion, and lots of different ones considered. Picked wrong one, miss for 3. Shenanigans were called, and we had this question instead.
1. Movies- Who played the title role in the 1994 film “Richie Rich?” Me for 3.
2. Nursery Rhymes – In the rhyme “There was a Crooked Man,” what did the crooked man buy? Miss for FIVE. Ouch.
3. Stadiums – In what decade did Wrigley Field install lights for night games? For an extra three point bonus, who was the first person to perform at Wrigley Field? Missed both of these for 1.
1. Coffee – What type of coffee bean comes from Yemen and is named for a port city there? Yup, we could only name the capital city, clearly we need to learn a bit more about Yemen! Miss for 1.
2. Slogans – What soft drink had a slogan “It’s Not for Women?” Me for 5.
3. Movies – “Honeymoon in Vegas” and “Leaving Las Vegas” both starred what actor? There’s a scene in the former movie where this guy is waiting at the ticket counter behind someone played by Ben Stein, who is being the absolute customer from hell. Taking forever, talking slow, etc. This actor just loses and says, “You’re not even FLYING today?” It’s hilarious…must find clip of this…will share on page when I do. It’s this actor at his very best…and worst. Got this for 3.
1. Business – Ray Kroc first became involved with McDonald’s as a salesman, selling what item to the restaurant chain? Newsletter answer, 6.
2. Disasters – In what U.S. state did the Hindenburg disaster occur? 4
3. Automobiles – What car manufacturer has made the Sienna minivan since 1997? Brad has one of these (because he has dogs). He has no back seats installed because of this (he is all about his dogs, they even eat better than he does), got this for 2.
1. Holiday Traditions – Originating in England, what was traditionally hidden in Christmas pudding? We jokingly talked about sausage (ahem). We did not put sausage, but still missed it for 2.
2. Organizations – The Rainbow Warrior, which was involved in protesting nuclear testing, was sunk by French foreign intelligence services in 1985 and belonged to what organization? 6
3. State Flags – In 2006, an eighth grade student presented a bill to change what U.S. state’s flag back to its original design, which featured three droplets of blood and a pelican feeding its young? Yay for knowing this state’s nickname, got this for 2.
We were in first heading into the final with 64 points out of seven teams.
Final Category: TV
Who is the only actor to have been nominated three times for primetime emmy awards for playing the same person? For some reason “playing the same person” did not register with us, maybe our brains were frozen by the blizzard. Serious case of the dumbs. We considered the right guy from the get-go, but couldn’t think of a third series he was in, so went with another guy who had three PT emmy nominations (though not for playing the same character). Ugh. Two teams managed to get this, judging from the scores…Until next time, which will be tonight at Stick’s for a Sporcle With Tim game. As always, Go Pods, and stay classy, French foreign intelligence forces!