Our “Three Amigos” visited The Wurst Bar for our regular trivia fix Wednesday, scores 62 points going into the final, finished second with a $20 gift card. A 10-person non-regular team whupped us and got first! Well played…well played. Our usual fourth player John had to miss, but we did quite well on the question set – right up until round five. Let’s not ever speak of it again! Perfect game going into the half. And the questions…
1. How many Great Lakes border Michigan? 5
2. Disney – In the title of “Snow White,” how are her seven companions spelled? 3
3. Musical Instruments – A sousaphone is a variation on what musical instrument? I was just talking about someone in marching band (from high school) who played this instrument. And this is not the first time something random I’ve talked about has come up as a trivia question! Seriously…this is WEIRD (queue up theramin music now). One time at band camp… 1
1. Tennis – What tournament is missing from the following list of Grand Slams? French Open, U.S. Open and Wimbledon? 5
2. TV – What is the last name of the 1950s character named Enrique Alberto Ricard y de Acha III? Brad and I teamed up here for 1.
3. States – How many states border Michigan? For an extra three point bonus, what is the least populous U.S. state? Brad nailed the bonus for us, and we got the first part correct.
1. Airports – In what U.S. city would you find Logan International Airport? 5
2. Landmarks – From what type of stone is the Taj Mahal constructed? 3
3. Games – On a conventional dart board, how many scoring zones are there? Mike and Brad worked really, really hard on this…and they got it! 1
In first at halftime, got all of the halftime questions.d provided
Got them all, wound up in first at the half with a perfect 40 points.
1. Animals – A basilisk is what type of animal?
2. NFL Drafts – Known as one of the biggest busts of all time, what quarterback was drafted ahead of Calvin Johnson in 2007?
3. TV – What comedic actor appeared as Professor Proton on “The Big Bang Theory?” 4
1. Colleges – Name one of the two division 2 colleges in Michigan that do not have the word Michigan in their name? Miss for 2
2.Literature – What “principle” is named from the Tolstoy book with the line, Happy families are all alike..?” Miss for 4, kid of misunderstood the question. And couldn’t the question just ask for what book that quote is from? Throwing in the word “principle” just threw us off (well played, MTL, you win this round…)
3. Mythology – What character in Greek mythology had a father named Priam and predicted the fall of Troy but nobody listened to her? Miss for 6. Considered right woman, went with different one. miss for 6 (blew this whole round!)
1. World Capitals – Minsk is the capital of what Eastern Europe? 6
2. Poetry – What two animals are in the title of an Edward Lear poem mentioning a “pea green boat going out to sea?” 4
3. Music – In what month in 1969 was Woodstock held? 2
Final: What movie was the highest grossing domestically for one featuring actor Paul Newman? Brad wanted to go with a ’70s movie, and I wanted to go with an ’80s movie. Mike said, “I’ m pretty sure it’s something more recent.” And then the answer came to me…(sweet!). We finished in second with a $20 gift card, 62 points.